STD Symptoms – Genital Warts
Most people with an HPV infection will not develop visible warts and the virus will go away on its own.
Often they are so tiny, or so difficult to see, that you don’t even know you have them. This means you may not know whether you or your partner have the virus.
If warts do appear, this can happen from three weeks to many months or even years, after coming into contact with the virus. You might notice small, fleshy growths, bumps or skin changes which may appear anywhere in or on the genital or anal area.
Genital warts can be found on the penis, scrotum, vulva (entire outer female genital area), vagina (inside or out), anus (inside or out) or groin. It is also possible — but not very likely — to have them in your mouth, on the lips, tongue, and palate, or in the throat.
Genital warts are usually harmless and often go away on their own. They may be:
- Skin color, or red or white in appearance
- Flat (smooth on the skin)
- Raised (like a bump or skin growth)
- Single (only one wart)
- Multiple (more than one in the same area or many areas)
- Small or large
- Cauliflower-like lumps
Genital warts are usually painless but may occasionally itch and cause some inflammation.
Other Genital warts symptoms are rare, but may include:
- Increased dampness in the genital area near the warts
- Increased vaginal discharge
- Genital itching
- Vaginal bleeding during or after sex
- They may cause bleeding from the anus or the urethra
- If your flow of urine is distorted this may be a sign of warts in the urethra
- Itching or burning sensation and occasional minor bleeding as a result of anal sex or bowel movement
They often grow more rapidly during pregnancy or when a person’s immune system is weakened by:
- Hodgkin’s disease
- Taking anti-rejection drugs after an organ transplant
– – – –
Did this help you identify your STD Symptoms? Do you still have questions about your STD symptoms or would you like to share how your symptoms were similar/different? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!
- Genital Warts Briefs
- Genital Warts In-Depth
- STD Symptoms
- Think You Might Have an STD?
- Pictures of Genital Warts
- STD Testing Centers
- List of All STDs
- Activities That Put You At Risk
- STDs in Men
- STDs in Women
- STD? What Now?