Founder and Executive Director
My name’s Jenelle Marie and I have an STD. *Hi, Jenelle.* For 15 years, I’ve lived with genital herpes – otherwise known as the herpes simplex virus (HSV) or simply, herpes (I’ve also had HPV, scabies and vaginitis). Want to know more about my experience? Read my STD Interview.
Having an STD has not hindered my love life, inhibited my ambition, or limited my friendships (I’ve been married, auditioned for American Idol, gone skydiving 3 times, been an auditor for a Big 4 accounting firm, ran a 25k, started a successful business, worked as a ‘carny’ on a fried veggie wagon, completed 2 degrees, etc.). Herpes, in short, has not stopped me from achieving anything or enjoying my life.
I am here to tell you, having an STD/STI does not have to stop you either.
Sure, no one wants an infection – I don’t want a cold or the flu – but, as humans, our bodies are not infallible. They are resilient, yes, but certainly not infallible, and maladies are part of the human experience.
While I am not a doctor (I have a BBA and an MBA), I am the STD Expert for Answers.com, the Spokesperson for PositiveSingles.com, and an adjunct professor at a Midwest community college, so I have a natural knack for learning/research/outreach/etc. For those clinical diagnosis type of questions, our resources and references pages are a great place to start – I am also happy to point you in the right direction should a question come to me of which I am not familiar.
Most importantly, I understand what it’s like to feel misunderstood and alone with something considered taboo. As such, I will facilitate and encourage education via thoughtful discussion and can be a vessel for your STD/STI stories. In time, I won’t need to be this vessel because we will have broken the stigma and opened the minds of others.
Until then, I am here to serve you. Take off your shoes and stay awhile; share your STD story (anonymously or otherwise) - everyone is welcome here. :-)
- The International Union Against Sexually Transmitted Infections (IUSTI)
- American Sexually Transmitted Diseases Association (ASTDA)
- National Coalition of STD Directors (NCSD)
- National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable (NVHR)
- National Coalition for Sexual Health (NCSH)
- STD Expert – Answers.com – Present
- Spokesperson – PositiveSingles.com – Present
- Adjunct Professor – Grand Rapids Community College – Present
- Freelance Writer – Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin, Kinkly.com, and others – Present
- Professional Speaker – AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF), Red Project, and others – Present
- MBA – Honors Professional Accountancy – Graduated with high honors – Davenport University
- BBA – Honors Professional Accountancy – Graduated with honors – Davenport University
Awards & Recognition
* For a detailed listing of awards and recognition, please visit our press page!
- – - -
- About The STD Project
- Vision, Mission & Values
- Our Branding and Website Design
- Our Logo
- Our Goals – A Bucket List
- Press Coverage
- Our Contributors
- Our Supporters
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Me!
- Read about my STD testing experience
- Read my genital herpes diagnosis story