Founder and Executive Director
My name’s Jenelle Marie Davis and I have an STD. *Hi, Jenelle.* For 15 years, I’ve lived with genital herpes – otherwise known as the herpes simplex virus (HSV) or simply, herpes (I’ve also had HPV, scabies and vaginitis). Want to know more about my experience? Read my STD Interview.
Having an STD has not hindered my love life, inhibited my ambition, or limited my friendships (I’ve been married, auditioned for American Idol, gone skydiving 3 times, been an auditor for a Big 4 accounting firm, ran a 25k, started a successful business, worked as a ‘carny’ on a fried veggie wagon, completed 2 degrees, etc.). Herpes, in short, has not stopped me from achieving anything or enjoying my life.
I am here to tell you, having an STD/STI does not have to stop you either.
Sure, no one wants an infection – I don’t want a cold or the flu – but, as humans, our bodies are not infallible. They are resilient, yes, but certainly not infallible, and maladies are part of the human experience.
I am the STD Expert for Answers.com and an adjunct professor at Grand Rapids Community College; previously, I was the Spokesperson for Positive Singles, so I have a natural knack for research and outreach.
To stay current in the field of sexual health and STDs, I tri-chair the Communications Action Group for the National Coalition for Sexual Health (NCSH), and I am a member of the International Union Against Sexually Transmitted Diseases (IUASTD), the American Sexually Transmitted Diseases Association (ASTDA), the National Coalition of STD Directors (NCSD), and the National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable (NVHR).
My work has been featured in popular TV, radio, and print outlets such as: Cosmopolitan Magazine, Jezebel, Forbes, HuffPost Live, NPR, Mother Jones, Refinery 29, NOW Magazine (UK), and many more.
- STD Expert – Answers.com – Present
- Adjunct Professor – Grand Rapids Community College – Present
- Freelance Writer – Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin, Kinkly.com, and others – Present
- Professional Speaker – AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF), Red Project, and others – Present
- Spokesperson – Positive Singles – Past
- National Coalition for Sexual Health (NCSH) – Tri-Chair of the Communications Action Group
- The International Union Against Sexually Transmitted Infections (IUSTI)
- American Sexually Transmitted Diseases Association (ASTDA)
- National Coalition of STD Directors (NCSD)
- National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable (NVHR)
- MBA – Graduated with high honors from the Honors Program – Davenport University
- BBA – Graduated with honors from the Honors Program – Davenport University
Awards & Recognition
* For a detailed listing of awards and recognition, please visit our press page!
Most importantly, I understand what it’s like to feel misunderstood and alone with something considered taboo. As such, I will facilitate and encourage education via thoughtful discussion and can be a vessel for your STD/STI stories. In time, I won’t need to be this vessel because we will have broken the stigma and opened the minds of others. Until then, I am here to serve you. Take off your shoes and stay awhile; share your STD story (anonymously) – everyone is welcome here.
For a clinical diagnosis, always consult a physician, but for all other questions, our resources and references pages are a great place to start.
– – – –
- About The STD Project
- Vision, Mission & Values
- Our Branding and Website Design
- Our Logo
- Our Goals – A Bucket List
- Press Coverage
- Our Contributors
- Our Supporters
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Me!
- Read about my STD testing experience
- Read my genital herpes diagnosis story