Founder and Executive Director
My name’s Jenelle Marie and I have an STD. *Hi, Jenelle.* For 14 years, I’ve lived with genital herpes – otherwise known as herpes simplex or simply, herpes (I’ve also had hpv, scabies and vaginitis). Want to know more about my experience? Read my STD Interview.
Having an STD has not hindered my love life, inhibited my ambition, or limited my friendships (I’ve been married, auditioned for American Idol, gone skydiving 3 times, been an auditor for a Big 4 accounting firm, ran a 25k, started a successful business, worked as a ‘carny’ on a fried veggie wagon, completed 2 degrees, etc.). Herpes, in short, has not stopped me from achieving anything or enjoying my life.
I am here to tell you, having an STD/STI does not have to stop you either.
While I am not a doctor (I have a BBA and an MBA in Honors Professional Accountancy – surprisingly, I hate doing taxes), I most certainly understand what it’s like to feel misunderstood and alone with something considered taboo. For those clinical diagnosis type of questions, our resources and references pages are a great place to start – I am also happy to point you in the right direction should a question come to me I am not familiar with! I am an accounting professor at a Midwest community college and have a natural knack for learning/research/etc. As such, I will facilitate and encourage education and healthy discussion and can be a vessel for your STD/STI stories. In time, I won’t need to be this vessel because we will have broken the stigma and opened the minds of others.
Until then, I am here to serve you. :-)
Take off your shoes and stay awhile; share your STD story (anonymously or otherwise) - everyone is welcome here. :-)
Awards & Recognition
* For a detailed listing of awards and recognition, please visit our press page!
- MBA – Honors Professional Accountancy – Graduated with high honors – Davenport University
- BBA – Honors Professional Accountancy – Graduated with honors – Davenport University
- Professor of Accounting – Business Department – Community College – Present
- Freelance Writer – Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin, Kinkly.com, and others – Present
- Professional Speaker – AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF), Red Project, and others – Present
- – - -
- About The STD Project
- Press Coverage
- The STD Project’s Services
- Our Supporters
- Read about my STD testing experience
- Read my genital herpes diagnosis story
- Contact me!