Spicy is how we like it, and today’s podcast is certainly muy caliente! – and/or a little questionable. I have to admit, though, we enjoy pushing the envelope a tad. So, take a listen, tell us what you think and how our message has impacted the way you talk about STDs.
What to Expect When You’re Expecting…a Podcast
In an effort to cater to short attention spans (mainly, my own), we keep these podcasts between 5 and 15 minutes in length. When we have guests on the show, sometimes they’re a little bit longer, but we know you’re busy. Consequently, we promise to always do our very best to be as concise as possible.
Today’s podcast runs about 9 minutes in length and we’re talking about STDs, of course, and how we refer to those who have them.
Are some people right when they say a push to change our vocabulary in the STD realm is politically correctness gone mad?
LISTEN ON iTUNES! ——>>>> Subscribe to these podcasts via iTunes!!!
How can you change the way you talk about STDs?
- Add ‘people with STDs’ to your mental list of groups facing social ostracism.
- Pay attention to language like saying someone who has a negative STD test is clean or a person with an STD is tainted.
- Pay attention to metaphors like leper, monster, or damaged-goods and stop using them.
- Pay attention to stereotypes. Correct people when they try to say that being a slut, whore, or cheater means you probably have an STI/STD.
- Tell your story – let others know they are not alone, people with STDs come from all walks of life, and STDs do not define one’s character and are not indicative of one’s worth.
Next time, I’ll be talking about STD myths, some of the funniest misconceptions I hear most often, and why they spread, despite our best educational efforts. Stay tuned!
– – – –
What did you think of today’s podcast? Do you have a suggestion for an upcoming podcast? Or would you like to take part in an upcoming podcast interview/conversation via Skype or in person? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!
- About The STD Project
- Press Page
- About the Admin
- Other Podcasts
- Would You Like to Share Your Story?
- STD? What Now?
- Think You Might Have an STD?