The STD Project’s top two chosen STD testing providers: STD Check and myLAB Box – after months of networking and researching, we’ve narrowed our recommendation to the best private providers for STD tests per county. In the US, we believe STD Check and myLAB Box has the most value-added testing options.
Not only do they have a team of professional, dedicated, and passionate individuals, they understand why choosing a private provider can be tough. So, they cultivate a trusting relationship with each client – the benefits of which make your testing process seamless and as stress free as possible!
General advantages to private testing:
- They offer testing for more STDs than the ‘full panels’ at clinics (including herpes, hepatitis, etc.)
- Results usually in 1-2 business days or less
- HIPPA compliant – your information remains private
- A doctor to discuss your results, if appropriate
- Prescription treatment, if appropriate
General disadvantages to private testing:
- Some do not offer oral and anal swabbing
- Sometimes there’s a higher risk of false-negatives
- Labs (STD Check) might not be in your area
- Testing yourself can feel overwhelming (myLAB Box)
For those of you on a tight budget, this is a great place to start. We have links to global testing finders based on your country. Some of the providers offer free services and testing while others charge based upon income. Use our by country links to find testing centers near you along with other sexual health services – some providers do both!
General advantages to free STD tests:
- They offer oral and anal swabbing for bacterial infections
- Some offer rapid/instant tests
- Speaking to someone in-person (some see this as an uncomfortable disadvantage as well)
- Some offer additional services or free safer sex barriers
General disadvantages to free STD tests:
- They test for fewer infections
- Long walk-in/wait times
- Only open on certain days
- Result times can take up to 2 weeks, and some only contact with positive results
- They counsel you in-person about safer-sex (some see this as an advantage)
- Some cannot prescribe treatment
- They report your results (anonymously/confidentially, depending upon the infection)
Keeping Our Content Fresh & Accurate
These posts and pages are updated frequently. Should you have a suggestion for us on improving them or including something you had hoped to find here, please do not hesitate to contact us via the contact form. We love suggestions and find external input to be our best resource in making The STD Project a high quality reference tool for those who have or think they might have contracted a sexually transmitted disease or infection, those who are living with a sexually transmitted disease or infection, and those who love someone with a sexually transmitted disease or infection.
– – – –
- Think You Might Have an STD?
- Ask a Dermatologist
- STD Testing Information
- Private STD Testing Centers
- Free STD Testing Centers
- Global STD Testing Locations