Pubic Lice STD Brief
These briefs are intended to give readers (specifically those readers who weren’t aware many of these STDs existed) an overview of each STD, their commonality, treatment options, and diagnostic tests available.
This information is by no means all-encompassing and The STD Project encourages using these briefs as primers and then further delving into the resources section when subsequent questions arise.
Pubic Lice Symptoms, Test & Treatment
Common? Very common. Around 2.5 million people infected in the U.S. annually
Symptoms Intense itching in the genitals or anus, mild fever, irritability, the presence of live or small egg sacs (called nits) in pubic hair
Cure? Common brands of over-the-counter pubic lice medicine are A-200, RID, and Nix. Stronger prescription medications also available.
Bacterial/Viral/ Fungal/Parasitic Parasitic
Test People often diagnose themselves with pubic lice. You can also see your health care provider.
– – – –
Did this brief synopsis help clarify the STD or answer questions you had? Is there a category you’d like to see or something you think should be added to the quick overviews? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!
- Detailed Pubic Lice Symptoms
- About STD – Your Ultimate Reference Guide
- Pubic Lice (‘Crabs’) In-Depth
- Pictures of Pubic Lice
- Looking for more information about pubic lice?
- Looking for STD testing centers, pubic lice treatment, STD hotlines, or STD blogs and forums?
- Would you like to read stories about people living with an STD?