People Who Love People with STDs
This interview follows yesterday’s HPV post and is written by the author’s husband. (Her HPV Interview)
Their story is a beautiful example for others living with an STD.
Living with HPV does not have to be a deal-breaker and does not negate an opportunity for true love.
This story is also a wonderful example of how negative opinions can be changed as a result of open and honest communication with our loved ones – this kind of communication helps to eradicate preconceived notions about STDs and further challenges the stigma.
(If you or someone you know has a similar story – please consider sharing as well – the more we share the more likely we are to change perceptions!)
1. What relation is the person you are writing about (ie. partner, family member, friend, etc.)?
2. What STD(s) does this person have (or has this person had)?
3. How has their STD(s) affected your relationship?
She told me very early on in our relationship. She was very afraid to do so; if anything, it made her stronger in my eyes.
4. Has this impacted your view of STDs? Please explain.
Yes, I’m from a small town; the only exposure I had ever had with it was in a joking manner.
We used it as a tool to mock others, which, I was one of the people my wife would have originally been so afraid of.
I’m ashamed to have been that person that hurt someone’s feelings.
5. If you could change one thing about how people view contracting and/or living with an STD, what would it be?
It isn’t something to be burned at the stake for; we need to quit persecuting people for something that is out of their control.
6. Why have you chosen to participate in The STD Interviews and/or is there anything else you would like to share with the readers?
I chose to participate for my wife, because I want others to understand what an amazing person she is…. It has nothing to do with who she is.
An STD doesn’t make or break anyone and it shouldn’t be anything you base the person on.
Do you have a loved one who still supports you despite your STD? Did this interview inspire you or make you feel better about a new relationship? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!
- Thoughts About Finding Out My Sig. Other Has an STD
- STD? What Now? Your Ultimate Reference Guide
- HPV – Resources, Info, and Personal Experiences
- Want to share your STD Story?
- Looking for STD Resources?
- STD Forum
- STDs and Relationships